There are a couple of things we’ve found that are key to getting money lessons across to your children:-
1. Start early – as soon as they whine for something at the store or demand to have something they see on TV.
2. Keep the message simple and consistent.
3. Actions speak louder than words – show them more than you tell them.
4. Use “teachable moments” and avoid the “big talk”.
5. Reinforce positive behavior.
6. Encourage questions all the time making it a natural part of the dinner conversation.
In future posts, I’ll expound on each point with practical examples from our lives.
What do you think is the most important thing to remember or practice when teaching children about money?